Are banner ads effective and do banner ads really work?
This is the question that many corporations and organizations are curious about as the online population continues to grow.
Banner ads on the internet have been in existence for almost 20 years now and some people are starting to wonder if interent users even see them anymore as they selectively surf the web.
Online Banner Ads Effectiveness Infographic Highlights:
- Internet users aged 55 or older are most likely to click on banner ads.
- The average click through rate of an online banner ad is 2.1%. Editors note: I believe this was a typo in the infographic and the actual average CTR is 0.2%.
- 39% of users who clicked on a banner ad did so for one of these 2 reasons:
- It showed a product they were already interested in.
- It sparked their interest in a product that they hadn’t previously considered.
- The top 8 reasons people don’t click on banner ads are:
- 61% – Don’t want to be distracted.
- 58% – Say online banner ads are not that relevant to them.
- 57% – Say they are afraid of receiving spam from advertisers.
- 55% – Are worried about getting a virus.
- 54% – Don’t trust most online ads they see.
- 46% – Worry pop-ups will take over their screen.
- 31% – Are worried that their internet behavior will be tracked.
- 31% – Only want to click on banner ads when they’re in the mood.