As the internet continues to evolve, the usage of video and video chat services is increasing at a steady rate – especially online video usage among teens.
Video is currently one of the most advanced forms of rich media content available and most internet researchers and experts will tell that the future of the web lies virtually 100% in the hands of video.
As with most aspects of technology, younger users and teens are usually the first to adopt new and cutting edge technologies.
See Also: College Sexting Statistics 2012 [Infographic]
An infographic (posted below) was recently published by OnlineCollege.org based on a study by the Pew Internet & American Life Project that provides us with details and statistics regarding the online video usage of teens.
The study was conducted on nearly 800 teens between the ages of 12-17. 95% of the teenagers surveyed claimed to be internet users.
Highlights of the Online Video Usage Statistics Among Teens Infographic:
- 37% of teens surveyed use video chat.
- 27% of teens surveyed record and upload video.
- 13% of teens surveyed stream live video for others to watch.
- Girls (42%) are more likely to use video chat than boys (33%).
- Race and ethnicity does is not a factor in regards to video usage among teens.
- Video usage among teens increase with age.
- Teens from high-income families are more likely to use video chat while teens from low-income families are more likely to stream live video.
- Teens from urban, suburban and rural communities are all equally likely to use online video services.
- Teens whose parents went to college are more likely to use video chat.
- Teens who use social media are more likely to usage video chat than those who don’t.
Click on the infographic below for the full size version.
Anson Alexander is a graduate from the University of Tampa with a degree in International Business and Information Systems.A previous IT Administrator for a medium size publication company, Anson has recently decided to work full time on his own business by publishing on AnsonAlex.com, publishing technology tutorials on YouTube and offering SEO, IT training and digital marketing services.His main interests include technology, social media, infographics, economics, marketing and web design.Connect with Anson on Google+.