Social media usage statistics for 2013, as shown in the following infographic, provide a great deal of insight into current social media trends, the preferences of social media users in 2013 and the overall direction that social computing is moving towards.
Some you may remember that I posted an infographic on social media usage for 2012 and now in 2013, I’ve got some updated statistics for you to take a look at!
You will notice that there are two social media usage trends in 2013 that are really helping shape a new social media environment: mobile usage and social media usage by older generations.
The fact that mobile computing is having an large effect on how users are experiencing social media is really no surprise. It is more surprising however, the rate at which older generations are adopting and using social media platforms. Think about it, who uses Facebook more nowadays – you or your mom? For many of you, the latter may be true!
The infographic below was initially published by GrowingSocialMedia.com.
2013 Social Media Usage Statistics Highlights:
- Over 800 million people now access social media via mobile devices.
- The fastest growing age group on Twitter is the 55-64 age group (79% growth rate).
- The fastest growing age group on Google+ and Facebook is the 45-54 age group with growth rates of 46% and 56% respectively.
- Facebook reports having over 665 million daily users and over 1.1 billion monthly active users in 2013.
- Facebook is earning 30% of their ad revenue in 2013 from mobile ads alone.
- Twitter is now the fastest growing social network in the world in terms of active users with a 44% growth rate since last year.
- With 288 monthly active Twitter users, 21% of people on the planet are using Twitter ever month!
- YouTube reaches more U.S. adults ages 18-34 than any cable network.
- People are now watching 6 billion hours of video content on YouTube every month – last year that number was only 3 billion.
- Google+ is now the 2nd largest social network with 359 million monthly active users.
- The user base of Google+ has grown by 33% in the last year.
- LinkedIn is continuing to grow, especially internationally. 64% of LinkedIn users are from outside the U.S.
View more infographics from AnsonAlex.com.