Texting is one of the primary technologies that has helped shape modern communication.
Due to the rise in social media, video chat and other new forms of communication people often fail to realize that texting is the most popular data communication tool in the world.
- 60% of humans (4.2 billion) are active texters.
- There are 5 times as many texters as there are Facebook users.
- Over 6 trillion texts were sent in 2010.
- Over 193,000 text messages are sent every second.
- 66% of humans in developing countries have mobile phone subscriptions.
- 48 million people own cellphones but do not have electricity.
- It is more common to have a cellphone in many African countries than it is to have a bank account.